[Tagging] new access value

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 08:35:00 UTC 2015

> The meaning is a superset of
> access=private/customers/delivery/agricultural/forestry. Everyone is
> permitted to use the feature (road) if - and only if - he is either a
> resident or owner of adjacent property or if he is aiming to get in contact
> or business with a resident or owner.

in Germany there's no limitation to residents or owners, it could also be a
tenant, business operator etc. without the necessity of "property" or
"residence" (= formally living there).

> So if you own the property beside the street, you are permitted to use the
> street.
> If you want to visit a resident for a talk, you are permitted.
> If you are delivering to a resident, you are permitted.
> Hotel guests are permitted.

would you be permitted if you wanted to ask for hotel pricing? Or room
availability?

> Many people have been using (motor_)vehicle=destination for this, but
> that's
> just wrong, because "destination" would mean that you are allowed to drive
> in to take a walk or shoot photos. In exchange, "destination" would prohibt
> residents from driving through - but they are actually allowed to do so.

IMHO we should change the wiki to make this more explicit, because the
German situation is similar, it isn't sufficient to want to go there (like
the wiki currently states), but you have to want to come in contact with
someone living there or operating his business there.

> I have been using (motor_)vehicle=delivery, because it's more permissive
> than private, and I always felt that delivery somewhat implies customers.

-1, delivery is quite different (e.g. would exclude residents that don't
"deliver"). I don't think that delivery implies something for customers.

> So we need a new tag.
>
> Maybe *=visitors?
> or *=guests (but this could make believe that deliverers are excluded)
> or *=contact (puzzling?)
> or *=contact_with_residents (too bulky?)
> or *=contact_with_abutters (same)
> or *=in_touch... ?
>
> What do you think?

"visitors" would exclude a lot of stuff, including residents. Also
"visitor" implies IMHO you have to stay. Is the postman a "visitor"? I'd
say no.

Cheers,
Martin