[Tagging] Shop values review

johnw johnw at mac.com
Thu Oct 8 14:11:30 UTC 2015

&

> On Oct 8, 2015, at 6:51 PM, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> In an ideal world, tagging should also be based on what it IS (which is objective), not what it is CALLED (which is locale/culture dependent). In the case of shops, that would mean enumerating the sorts of products/services on sale, so shop=hat is better than shop=haberdasher.

The generic type is absolutely necessary, because the there is a lot implied in a name and category - and people expect them to be presented and shown in generic categories.  (DIY, Hobby, clothing, etc).

but they also expect if you search “model trains” they don't give you a pin for a scrapbooking craft store that has 4 model car kits on a back shelf.

The only reasonable answer (I have seen) is to have the shop=type and type=subtype + type:detail:object=yes model to to let people add the major focus and outliers *=no) and use the service and repair tag the same way.

People don’t need to try to map what every chain store sells, because people usually are familiar with what is in a chain (or could be added with a automated edit to all of the chain locations) - but the small regional and “mom & pop” stores definitely could use this level of detail - and would drastically help with searches (if they are doing keyword searches).  even separating dry cleaning and coin laundry is a hassle in both Google maps and Apple maps in (rural) Japan - I have submitted 10 different map repair requests just to get laundromats to show up correctly when I search for one in my town - which means their categories are crap and need to be properly segmented (and the rules followed).

This generics also lets regional variations work in-  generic:[lang]=detail →

hobby=plastic model
hobby:ja=プラモデル

I talked to my ham radio friend tonight, and the shop he visits deals only with licensed hobbyist radios and their accessories / supplies / antennas (HAM, microwave, and similar) - so having a shop=electronics + electronics=radiotronics (what was that special word?)  and then put whenever you think belongs in the sells, services, etc.

This seems like a no-brainer: but a pretty big skeleton of types and subtypes has to be made up or everything will a giant pile of dictionary vomit.

Javbw