[Tagging] waterway=penstock to complete pipeline tagging

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 9 17:24:54 UTC 2015

Why can a drilled rock tunnel, or an aqueduct for that matter, not be
part of a pipeline? Are you just saying it is unlikely, or do you mean
that it would no longer be called a pipeline if part of its distance is
drilled through rock instead of being a steel pipe? According to this
article that is possible:

http://www.muehlhan.com/index.php/en/markets-and-references/bridges-pipelines/penstock

"Penstock" indicates the function, not a means of construction.

I think the sentence "Modern aqueducts may also use pipelines" might be
better rephrased as "Modern aqueducts may carry the (water) in pipes
instead of the traditional open channels."

--colin

On 2015-10-09 18:27, François Lacombe wrote:

> According to this wikipedia article : NYC Water supply
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_water_supply_system
>
> I see many terms to talk about Catskill Aqueduct which is a major part
> of this system : aquduct, conduit, tunnel, siphon... but pipeline is
> never used.
> Google tells nothing about Catskill pipeline but has many results
> regarding Catskill aqueduct.
>
> Again here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqueduct_%28water_supply%29
> I think the sentence "Modern aqueducts may also use pipelines", which
> sounds like "An aqueduct is not always a pipeline".
>
> I agree with Colin : a pipeline is a route, but won't be composed of
> bare rock drilled tunnels.
>
> The waterway=penstock should exist on the wiki to summarize all this
> interesting discussion.
>
> All the best
> François Lacombe
>
> fl dot infosreseaux At gmail dot com
> www.infos-reseaux.com [1]
> @InfosReseaux

>> I see a pipeline as analogous to a route, i.e. from one place to another,
>> made up of many contiguous segments of varying types. Many of these segments
>> may be (steel) pipes, but they may also be drilled through rock or whatever.
>> A penstock is a particular function of certain pipelines, for example from
>> high up to the turbine hall. This pipeline can be made of all kinds of
>> segments, just like all other pipelines.
>>
>> //colin
>>
>> On 2015-10-09 16:59, François Lacombe wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,

>> I'd like to think anything carrying waste water (sewer) would have a non
>> permeable lining.. and that lining could be called a 'pipe' and thus it is a
>> 'pipeline'.
>>
>> To me the 'tubes' in my house for carrying water/gas are pipes .. and as
>> they are a line then they are pipelines!
>>
>> I'd like to consider the pipeline is almost replacable by its operator.
>> A tunnel, furthermore when it's shielded, carrying water isn't
>> replacable at all and its components aren't pipes at all.
>>
>> Digging rock to get a tunnel is a lot heavier than installing a
>> pipeline. It doesn't have the same environmental footprint too.
>>
>> Ok to say that sewerage facilities are almost pipelines, but
>> sometimes, they are drains or tunnel.

>> The problem with man_made + waterway on the same node, is both are top level
>> tags.
>> Here you'd want a refinement tag for pipeline.
>>
>> I prefer to say that both man_made=pipeline and waterway=* can be
>> standalone to have a meaning instead of the "top level" expression.
>>
>> The extension I propose (I'm not refining any existing values here)
>> isn't only focused on pipeline but on tunnels too.
>> Due to the reasons we talked this week it shouldn't only concern pipelines.
>>
>> --
>>
>> There are two valid but separate goals to keep in mind.  Are you mapping
>> the:
>> * Visible surface features
> [...]

Links:
------