[Tagging] waterway=penstock to complete pipeline tagging

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 11:28:04 UTC 2015

Hi Colin

Le 9 oct. 2015 7:26 PM, "Colin Smale" <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> a écrit :
>Are you just saying it is unlikely, or do you mean that it would no longer
be called a pipeline if part of its distance is drilled through rock
instead of being a steel pipe?

I won't call a drilled rock section a "pipeline".

> "Penstock" indicates the function, not a means of construction.

And hat's precisely why penstocks shouldn't be restricted to pipelines in
OSM ?

> I think the sentence "Modern aqueducts may also use pipelines" might be
better rephrased as "Modern aqueducts may carry the (water) in pipes
instead of the traditional open channels."
I don't agree since Roman aqueducts weren't completely open but weren't
using pipelines too.
Pipelines are one solution out of many other. Make this diversity
persistent in OSM is a good thing IMHO.

My point was to find a solution regarding the water flow and not
exclusively regarding pipelines.

All the best

François