[Tagging] How one may tag object as castle?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 08:21:17 UTC 2015

> sent from a phone
>
>> Am 11.10.2015 um 08:25 schrieb Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at gmail.com>:
>>
>> Castle as in "a type of fortified structure built in Europe and the
>> Middle East during the Middle Ages by nobility".
>>
>> Unfortunately obvious historic=castle fails - as it is defined and
>> used as "(often fortified) buildings from medieval and modern times"
>> and includes nearly everything - for example "Representative building
>> without functional defenses.". (see
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:historic%3Dcastle ).
>

> this is an old question, at its time the initial solution was castle_type=burg but didn't find the appreciation of everyone due to being a German word (although apparently used by historians also in English).
>
> I think the intention is to use "defensive" now:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:castle_type

As one of the castle types iscastrum
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:castle_type%3Dcastrum&action=edit&redlink=1>  .. a Roamn castle .. and they predate the middle ages ..

I would simply tag it as

historic=castle
castle_type=middle_ages

And then fully document the castle_type used. As no other castle_type is documented, it would be a first.