[Tagging] How one may tag object as castle?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 11:04:52 UTC 2015

> As one of the castle types is castrum <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:castle_type%3Dcastrum&action=edit&redlink=1> .. a Roamn castle .. and they predate the middle ages ..
>
> I would simply tag it as
>
> historic=castle
> castle_type=middle_ages
>
> And then fully document the castle_type used. As no other castle_type is documented, it would be a first.

I'm not sure, a "castrum" is a castle type, well, maybe they can be seen
as. A castrum is a military camp, often nucleus of a city later on. If
these are castles, we might think of making nowadays military camps like
those of the Americans in Afghanistan, castles as well.

I'd use a distinct tag for a Roman Castrum.

Your suggestion "castle_type=middle_ages" does not make sense to me,
because that's a very rough time period, not a type of a castle, and you
could better use "start_date" for these.
Anyway, all of them will likely be ruins, because either they have been
destroyed, or they will have been transformed in the past 500 years to
something more up-to-date ;-) (or maybe some few have endured in very
remote areas).

Cheers,
Martin