[Tagging] RFC key:oven - a tag to add details about a kind of oven

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Wed Oct 14 13:35:16 UTC 2015

Martin Koppenhoefer wrote on 2015-10-14 14:06:
>> Am 14.10.2015 um 13:49 schrieb Tom Pfeifer:
>>
>> man_made=kiln
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dkiln
>
> a kiln is an oven, but not every oven is a kiln. The one above is for baking bread, it's not a kiln.

Oxford dictionary describes kiln as
"a furnace or oven for burning, baking, or drying, esp. one for calcining lime or firing pottery."
with its origin from "Old English cylene, from Latin culina ‘kitchen, cooking stove.’ "

While the wikipedia article focuses on the industrial use, that does not
exclude the meaning in food preparation, in particular in a low-tech environment.

Thus I find the term suitable for those historic community ovens.

tom