[Tagging] manège - area for horse training

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Thu Oct 15 20:28:15 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-10-15 at 21:14 +0200, Marc Zoutendijk wrote:

> > Op 15 okt. 2015, om 19:43 heeft Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk
> > > het volgende geschreven:
> >
> > On Thu, 2015-10-15 at 16:49 +0100, Dave F. wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > http://www.martincollins.com/Portals/0/Images/menage-surfaces/men
> > > age-surface-martin-collins.jpg
> > >
> > > I'm trying to find an appropriate tag for these areas used to
> > > exercise/train horses. Manège seemed correct, but at only 141
> > > occurrences, I'm wondering if there's a more common name in use.
> > > Any ideas?
> > I think its a menage, thats what usually appears on planning
> > applications for such things.
> >
> Check this:
> http://www.thefreedictionary.com/menage
>
> I don’t think that that’s what you mean.

That is the French meaning. English is different, although the French
is widely understood once the phrase is completed.

> In French Manège is the word used to descibe the collection of
> training facilities for horses, like stables and arenas.
>
> Also check this:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dressage
>
> I think that what is shown on the photo in the original post is
> correctly called Arena.

An example of usage of menage in a planning application, https://pa.shr
opshire.gov.uk/online
-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=NKAIN9TDIQ
900

Phil (trigpoint)