[Tagging] manège - area for horse training

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 15 21:05:52 UTC 2015

Seems to be a hot item in the equestrian world:

https://www.google.com/search?q=menage+manege&oq=menage+manege&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60.6298j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=0&ie=UTF-8

Management summary is that manège is correct (it is the proper french
word), menage really means something different (household or family
group), but Brits have been using the wrong word so much that it has
almost become right.

Certainly manège (or even the unaccented form manege) would be well
recognised in many countries (including the UK, whatever your
preference), whereas menage would probably be recognised (with the
intended meaning) in the UK and would raise eyebrows everywhere else.

--colin

On 2015-10-15 22:28, Philip Barnes wrote:

> On Thu, 2015-10-15 at 21:14 +0200, Marc Zoutendijk wrote:
> Op 15 okt. 2015, om 19:43 heeft Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk het volgende geschreven:
> On Thu, 2015-10-15 at 16:49 +0100, Dave F. wrote: Hi
>
> http://www.martincollins.com/Portals/0/Images/menage-surfaces/men
> age-surface-martin-collins.jpg
>
> I'm trying to find an appropriate tag for these areas used to
> exercise/train horses. Manège seemed correct, but at only 141
> occurrences, I'm wondering if there's a more common name in use.
> Any ideas? I think its a menage, thats what usually appears on planning
> applications for such things.
 Check this:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/menage

I don't think that that's what you mean.
That is the French meaning. English is different, although the French
is widely understood once the phrase is completed.

> In French Manège is the word used to descibe the collection of
> training facilities for horses, like stables and arenas.
>
> Also check this:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dressage
>
> I think that what is shown on the photo in the original post is
> correctly called Arena.
 An example of usage of menage in a planning application, https://pa.shr
opshire.gov.uk/online
-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=NKAIN9TDIQ
900

Phil (trigpoint)