[Tagging] post_box:type values, meter in particular

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Fri Oct 16 01:16:41 UTC 2015

On 2015-10-15 20:54, Holger Mappt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The post_box:type Wiki page [1] was created two months ago and the key
> was added to the JOSM preset recently [2]. That means that the values
> show up in Launchpad for translation. The "meter" type in particular is
> hard to translate as it is not clear for non-UK citizens like me what
> that type refers to. The Wiki page states that post_box:type is about
> the physical style (size/shape) of the post box, but "meter" refers to
> the type of mail the post box is intended for. What would be the value
> if there is a pillar box for meter mail in some country? Any ideas how
> this can be improved? There is no word for "meter" in my language and
> the translation would be either incomprehensible or too long.
>
> Holger
>
> [1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:post_box:type
> [2] https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/11933

In the UK, meter mail postboxes are usually a different physical
size/shape. ie they are rectangular, and usually bigger than a standard
postbox. And a larger aperture for posting mail, which may be locked at
times.
So I think they would be considered as different to pillar boxes. I'm
not sure if they have an official/common name or not. Sometimes known as
a "business mail post box".

Note there are also proposed tags for what mail is accepted by a
postbox. See
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Extend_post_box
ie mail:stamped / mail:meter / mail:1st_class / mail:2nd_class

So for a postbox that only accepts meter mail, you could tag it as
mail:stamped=no, mail:meter=yes. So that could be used along with the
tag for post_box:type