[Tagging] post_box:type values, meter in particular

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Thu Oct 15 20:20:19 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-10-15 at 21:54 +0200, Holger Mappt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The post_box:type Wiki page [1] was created two months ago and the
> key
> was added to the JOSM preset recently [2]. That means that the values
> show up in Launchpad for translation. The "meter" type in particular
> is
> hard to translate as it is not clear for non-UK citizens like me what
> that type refers to. The Wiki page states that post_box:type is about
> the physical style (size/shape) of the post box, but "meter" refers
> the type of mail the post box is intended for. What would be the
> value
> if there is a pillar box for meter mail in some country? Any ideas
> how
> this can be improved? There is no word for "meter" in my language and
> the translation would be either incomprehensible or too long.

The meter mail, although I find it an odd term as that type of mail is
normally called franked. This means that only mail that is pre-paid by
a business which has a machine can use the box. You or I, who buy
normal stamps cannot post things there. Usually these boxes are on
industrial estates.

Phil (trigpoint)