[Tagging] Postindustrial Castle

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 07:33:35 UTC 2015

sent from a phone

> Am 16.10.2015 um 05:09 schrieb John Willis <johnw at mac.com>:
>
> the intended use of the facility was a lavish residence in the style of a castle.

that's what castles are ;-)

> My aunt has a giant log cabin on a 1500m hill, much higher than Hearst's lavish residence on the coast.

I call that a log cabin ;-)
log cabins are hardly be confused with castles normally.

> This height advantage doesn't make her residence any more of a castle, nor more important than Heart Castle (the elevation importance argument).

elevation importance isn't likely a good criterion, I agree

> Apple is calling their new campus a "spaceship" - and though large and imposing, it is not a craft for space travel. It's just a name.

no, it's not just a name, its a shape and a style and a marketing buzzword evocating future, technology and innovation, rather the opposite than a castle which is more about tradition, history and feudalism.

> "A man's home is his castle" - but the structure is still a "house". Same with Hearst.

I d call the hearst residence at least a villa, if castle doesn't find agreement.

cheers,
Martin