[Tagging] Postindustrial Castle

johnw johnw at mac.com
Fri Oct 16 12:18:09 UTC 2015

> On Oct 16, 2015, at 5:49 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> And btw., you have not yet answered the question regarding the Neuschwanstein case. I could name a similar example (besides the other Ludwig II castles in Bavaria), much smaller, here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lichtenstein_Castle_%28W%C3%BCrttemberg%29 <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lichtenstein_Castle_%28W%C3%BCrttemberg%29>
> Or also this one, residence of the emperor of Germany (prussian enclave), but not actually a defensive structure (but "fake defensive"): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hohenzollern_Castle <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hohenzollern_Castle>
>
> Do you agree these are castles? This is the wiki list about castles: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:castle_type <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:castle_type>

Yes, those are castles. I think i would use one on the wiki page as “here is a castle”, as they look like what an american imagines a castle to be.

The current values proposed under castle_type seem to cover them and probably most of the structures non-europeans think of as “castles" - and a lot of buildings I would call palaces or estates or something. When I see a manor home, I certainly don’t think "castle". The White House is a palace under these tags (i think), and I have never thought as the white house as a castle. This is definitely a regional/cultural semantics difference in “castle”.

To me, as a layperson, “castle” seems to stereotypically much more narrowly defined.

But I am not an expert on castles nor those homes, nor do I intend to be - so if that’s the case, and how people interested in castles want to tag it, then go ahead.  Hearst Castle could be considered a manor.

I am just wondering if we should have a “modern/reproduction/styled” value for the inevitable situation when someone tags a replica or a much more more modern “styled” structure as a castle - or if we just put on the wiki what those things should be tagged as.

and also - how do we handle the grounds? is there landuse=castle?
Javbw.