[Tagging] Unmarked opening hours

Andrew Errington erringtona at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 04:41:07 UTC 2015

On 17 Oct 2015 10:48, "Craig Wallace" <craigw84 at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On 2015-10-17 01:59, Dave Swarthout wrote:
>>

>> Agreed. Why would you add a tag when you don't know a value to assign? N
>>

>> In addition, concerning the signed:opening_hours=yes/no, there is no
>> need to assign more tags to describe a lack of information about the
>> first one.
>

> The point is, it is useful information for surveying.
> eg if I see a shop missing an opening hours tag, I would want to visit
it, to check what the hours are. But if they are not displayed anywhere,
then that survey trip is a waste of my time and effort.
> If I know the hours are not signed, it means I would have to use other
methods, eg ask the staff, or phone them up, or check their website etc. Or
sit there all day, and watch what time it actually opens...

So, what you are saying is that a mapper will map the store, but they
couldn't see the opening hours on a sign, so they'll tag
opening_hours=unknown (or whatever).

This allows *you* (or any other mapper) to use other methods to find the
opening hours instead of wasting a journey to the store.

That's great, but couldn't you use those other methods anyway?  And
wouldn't the original mapper think of doing the same thing?  (Personally, I
check the store's website).

Also, from the point of view of a data consumer, how does this help?  If I
am consulting the map it makes no difference if there is no opening_hours
information listed, or if there is a tag saying "I couldn't see a sign".

Andrew