[Tagging] how to tag a "highway" that doesn't exist?

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Thu Oct 22 12:55:59 UTC 2015

Andy Townsend wrote on 2015-10-22 12:46:
> On 22/10/2015 11:18, Colin Smale wrote:
>>
>> On 2015-10-22 11:27, Andy Townsend wrote:
>>

>>> I'd agree with that.  I can think of more than a few examples of "the road/path used to go here, but now it doesn't", and even if the imagery gets updated, underlying GPS traces won't.
>> Has anyone thought of a way of limiting returned GPS traces to a certain date range? So you can look at traces since or before a certain change in the road layout?
>>

> It's tricky, since the traces involved aren't just the OSM ones - they also include Strava and potentially others.
>
> With regard to OSM ones, in JOSM you can get information on some traces trace-by-trace, but it's a bit clumsy to use regularly. Traces in P2 and iD's "GPS traces tiles" such as http://gps-b.tile.openstreetmap.org/lines/15/16256/10660.png via
> https://github.com/ericfischer/gpx-updater are one-way I believe - GPS traces go in, but never come out.

In JOSM you can filter the loaded GPX tracks by date. In the layer list, right-click the GPX data,
select the funnel icon "choose visible tracks". It provides you with a slider mode to select a
specific from-to date range. Very useful when the road layout has changed, e.g. a roundabout been built.

(in this context, the InfoMode plugin provides you further information about tracks and trackpoints interactively.)
tom