[Tagging] tunnel=culvert

johnw johnw at mac.com
Sun Oct 25 10:29:02 UTC 2015

> On Oct 25, 2015, at 6:27 PM, Ineiev <ineiev at gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> In my eyes it is the same case as with a
>> railway=level_crossing. We map it as a node (and only as a node).
>> Did I miss something?
>
> In this case, the highway and the railway share the same level.

+1

the rail and road share an intersection. it is a level crossing. The whole point of a level crossing is to say “Hey!” the road and train meet here! that’s why they share the node.

a train in a tunnel doesn’t - so it doesn’t share a node with the road(s) above. There is no notice to a driver of subway lines, storm drains, water pipes, etc in the road as you drive - why is the culvert a node property of the road?

Water and a road sharing the same node on the same level is called a ford.

A culvert is a type of tunnel.  Zoom in and make a tiny going across the road and tag it as a culvert.

In general, Tunnels are a property of ways, not nodes.

Occasionally it is not completely sealed (there is a grate, or just rail ties and track), but it none the less has no bearing on the traffic on the track, road, or path above it - so it does not share a node with the road/track above - just as power lines crossing above do not either.

It is not a stream that you have to get your car through.

it is a small tunnel under the road.

So tag it as a way. tunnels on nodes - especially on shared nodes with roads that are not in tunnels seems really really bad.

Javbw