[Tagging] when should highway=centreline be used?

Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 27 07:50:40 UTC 2015

Hi all,

we have 153 ways tagged

highway=centre_line

The wiki describes that as the white stripes in the middle of a road.

I looked at some ways tagged like that and they all seem to

be barriers between large roads (motorway,trunk), e.g.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/118699380

This way

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/117153052

is also tagged type=oneway. No idea what that would mean.

My understanding so far:

The tag makes no sense, editors use it instead of barrier=hedge

or something similar.

In Germany we have a traffic_sign that warns drivers when

the white line is missing, e.g. because the road was recently repaired.

I think if one wants to map this, it should be an attribute for the existing

highway, not a new way. I think the tag centreline=* is used for that (130 times).

Gerd