[Tagging] How to tag a "overhead electronic display" ?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 08:57:46 UTC 2015

2015-10-29 9:33 GMT+01:00 Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org>:

> I think we'd have to invent a tag.  I only know them to be called a
> "programmable changeable message sign", so I'd probably tag it
> traffic_sign=pcms

please, let's continue to avoid abbreviations. "pcms" is cryptic to me and
likely to many others too.
Wikipedia has an article about them called "variable-message sign" (IMHO
sounds slightly nicer, leads to a shorter value and includes
"non-programmable" signs: traffic_sign=variable-message_sign, even if the
hyphen-underscore mix might lead to minor tagging inconsistencies).
The article also states that a common name in the UK is "matrix_sign" (is
ok as well, focusing more on the physical aspect than on the function).

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20151029/83283063/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the Tagging mailing list