[Tagging] How to tag a "overhead electronic display" ?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 08:57:46 UTC 2015

> I think we'd have to invent a tag.  I only know them to be called a
> "programmable changeable message sign", so I'd probably tag it
> traffic_sign=pcms

please, let's continue to avoid abbreviations. "pcms" is cryptic to me and
likely to many others too.
Wikipedia has an article about them called "variable-message sign" (IMHO
sounds slightly nicer, leads to a shorter value and includes
"non-programmable" signs: traffic_sign=variable-message_sign, even if the
hyphen-underscore mix might lead to minor tagging inconsistencies).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable-message_sign
The article also states that a common name in the UK is "matrix_sign" (is
ok as well, focusing more on the physical aspect than on the function).

cheers,
Martin