[Tagging] How to tag a "overhead electronic display" ?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Oct 29 09:02:13 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 3:57 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com
> wrote:

> 2015-10-29 9:33 GMT+01:00 Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org>:
>> I think we'd have to invent a tag.  I only know them to be called a
>> "programmable changeable message sign", so I'd probably tag it
>> traffic_sign=pcms
> please, let's continue to avoid abbreviations. "pcms" is cryptic to me and
> likely to many others too.
> Wikipedia has an article about them called "variable-message sign" (IMHO
> sounds slightly nicer, leads to a shorter value and includes
> "non-programmable" signs: traffic_sign=variable-message_sign, even if the
> hyphen-underscore mix might lead to minor tagging inconsistencies).
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable-message_sign
> The article also states that a common name in the UK is "matrix_sign" (is
> ok as well, focusing more on the physical aspect than on the function).

 How about traffic_sign=variable?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20151029/fa20ad71/attachment.html>

More information about the Tagging mailing list