[Tagging] How to tag a weigh station / bridge ?

Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 29 10:39:42 UTC 2015

Hi all,

the wiki documents

amenity=weighbridge  (taginfo reports 386 uses)

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Aamenity%3Dweighbridge

[http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/thumb/b/b8/Lorry_on_weighbridge%2C_Douglas%2C_Isle_of_Man_-_geograph.org.uk_-_352285.jpg/200px-Lorry_on_weighbridge%2C_Douglas%2C_Isle_of_Man_-_geograph.org.uk_-_352285.jpg]<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Aamenity%3Dweighbridge>

Tag:amenity=weighbridge - OpenStreetMap Wiki
A Truck scale (US), weighbridge (non-US) or railroad scale is a large set of scales, usually mounted permanently on a concrete foundation, that is used to weigh ...
Weitere Informationen...<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Aamenity%3Dweighbridge>

Besides several different spellings like

amenity=weigh_bridge (8), weightbridge (3) ,...

and other similar tags like

amenity=weigh_station (21)

I've found several nodes or ways tagged e.g.

highway=weigh_station (60)

highway=weighbridge (9)

man_made=weighbridge (44)

man_made=weigh_bridge (6)

man_made=weighing_scale (4)

man_made=weighting_machine (1)

and further spelling variatons.

weight_sensor=yes (1)

weight_bridge (1)

I guess most of them describe the same thing.

It would be great to have a tool which allows to contact

all mappers that used the different versions and ask

them to  check if the most often used tag is matching.

Do we have a tool like that ? If not, would it be welcomed?

Gerd