[Tagging] How to tag a weigh station / bridge ?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 11:17:35 UTC 2015

On 29/10/2015 9:39 PM, Gerd Petermann wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> the wiki documents
>
> amenity=weighbridge  (taginfo reports 386 uses)
>

> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Aamenity%3Dweighbridge

I would NOT use amenity!

And status=in_use? less than 400 total.

> Besides several different spellings like
>
> amenity=weigh_bridge (8), weightbridge (3) ,...
>
> and other similar tags like
>
> amenity=weigh_station (21)

> I've found several nodes or ways tagged e.g.
>
> highway=weigh_station (60)
>
> highway=weighbridge (9)
>

> man_made=weighbridge (44)
>
> man_made=weigh_bridge (6)
>
> man_made=weighing_scale (4)
>
> man_made=weighting_machine (1)
>
> and further spelling variatons.

Of the above I would prefer

man_made=weighbridge

Can be applied to railways, highways with equal ease. And yes both railways and highways have them.

A weighting scale, machine may be for postal items, personal scales... a weighbridge is for vehicles.

> weight_sensor=yes (1)
>
> weight_bridge (1)

I would think the critical things would be the weight limit and the weight resolution.
Not what kind of sensor is employed.

> I guess most of them describe the same thing.
>
> It would be great to have a tool which allows to contact
>
> all mappers that used the different versions and ask
>
> them to  check if the most often used tag is matching.
>
> Do we have a tool like that ? If not, would it be welcomed?

Need to be careful not to support spam!
Other than that .. yes, would make contact easier .. but a discussion
page would be better rather than private emails?