[Tagging] More human readable values for traffic signs

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Thu Oct 29 20:05:18 UTC 2015

Michael Reichert wrote:
> That's why I suggest to use the country prefixes followed by a number
> or the name depending if the country numbers its traffic signs (like
> Germany) or not (like Austria).

There's no need to do that. OSM is a spatial database: you can find out
whether a sign is to the German design or the Austrian design by querying
whether the node is in Germany or Austria. Requiring the mapper to add
prefixes shifts the burden from the data consumer to the mapper, which is
against the principles of OSM.

Of course, if someone has erected an Austrian traffic sign in Germany, that
might be a good reason to use a country prefix. :) I saw a shop in
Switzerland that had made traffic signs into stools...

cheers
Richard