[Tagging] More human readable values for traffic signs

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 29 20:40:06 UTC 2015

How can that spatial lookup be made very cheaply? How long will it take to do a point-in-polygon for every road sign in Europe? I understand one should not denormalise lightly, but it is sometimes justifiable. We need to keep the data easily consumable as well. Saying that two extra characters in the tagging will present an unreasonable barrier to mappers is stretching a point I think.
By the way, there are plenty of road signs in Europe erected by a foreign power. Typically as you approach a border, especially if there is a junction or services soon after the border.