[Tagging] How to tag traffic islands ?

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 17:50:14 UTC 2015

It seems that many mappers associate words like "island" or "traffic island"

> with an area on a road that is enclosed by a white line and
>
> maybe hatched lines ("schraffiert")

I only consider an island if it elevated and tag it as
traffic_calming=island. If it's painted on, I do not map it as
traffic_calming=island. In fact, I personally do not map it at all.

> Not so often: "keep clear"

Can you give an example of this? "Keep clear" for me has no relation to
"traffic island"

> when use the crossing=island tag.

This seems to me very obvious: if the pdeestrian crossing, eg. a zebra
crossing is "protected" by one two traffic islands. Example with two
islands:
http://www.mapillary.com/map/im/wXtjiaWgo_PrTcE75Iug1A/photo

I have tagged it as
highway=crossing