[Tagging] Handle with care (was: Accuracy of survey)

Kotya Karapetyan kotya.lists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 16:41:18 UTC 2015

Hi André,

I agree with moltonel.

But otherwise I think there is a difference between a general warning or
message from one mapper to another (which in its own is an interesting idea
but can lead to dialogues and discussions) and a specific technical feature
that would prevent moving an accurately positioned tag.

Imagine there is a real-world marker at 50.000° N:
http://www.dieweltenbummler.de/geografisches/geografische-besonderheiten/50-breitengrad/
Someone draws it in OSM at 50° N. Then I come there with a smartphone,
measure the location, find it at 49.9° and edit the OSM accordingly. It is
wrong by definition (providing that the real-world marker location is known
precisely), but there is no mechanism to prevent such editing.

I think it's a very specific and relevant gap, and would love seeing it
solved elegantly.

Kind regards,
Kotya