[Tagging] Delete not marked walking routes?

Pee Wee piewie32 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 06:45:09 UTC 2015

On Talk-BE
<https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-be/2015-September/007805.html>
this question was asked. Since this is a question that applies not only to
Belgium I thought it would be good to raise the question here. User Escada
asked the same question on OSM help
<https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/45377/can-we-map-hiking-routes-found-in-books>
that there is not much response there.

Also on the Dutch forum
<http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=32678>this question was
asked. Much to my surprise there seem to be quite a few that think it is OK
to have these non way marked routes in OSM. Main argument is that there are
also other non visible elements in OSM (such as administrative boundaries,
bus routes etc.).

To keep discussion simple I suggest that we assume that the author of the
booklet/website etc, in which a route is described allows us to enter this
in OSM.  (no copyright issue)

What do you think?

Is is OK to have (walking) routes in OSM that have no visible marks on the
ground and if so under what conditions?

Cheers
Peewee32