[Tagging] Delete not marked walking routes?

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Sun Sep 20 13:07:33 UTC 2015

A route should be verifiable on the ground.

Verifiable via publication (paper, website etc) should not be used as a
reason to add to OSM. Where would you stop? Would you, for instance,
allow someone who writes an internet blog 'Where I walk my dog' &
displays a GPX of the route? As Frederick has pointed out, there are
exceptions but doesn't validate these routes inclusion.

Dave F.

On 20/09/2015 07:45, Pee Wee wrote:

> OnTalk-BE
> <https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-be/2015-September/007805.html>
> this question was asked. Since this is a question that applies not
> only to  Belgium I thought it would be good to raise the question
> here. User Escada asked the same question on OSM help
> <https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/45377/can-we-map-hiking-routes-found-in-books>
> that there is not much response there.
>
> Also on the Dutch forum
> <http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=32678>this question
> was asked. Much to my surprise there seem to be quite a few that think
> it is OK to have these non way marked routes in OSM. Main argument is
> that there are also other non visible elements in OSM (such as
> administrative boundaries, bus routes etc.).
>
> To keep discussion simple I suggest that we assume that the author of
> the booklet/website etc, in which a route is described allows us to
> enter this in OSM.  (no copyright issue)
>
> What do you think?
>
> Is is OK to have (walking) routes in OSM that have no visible marks on
> the ground and if so under what conditions?
>
> Cheers
> Peewee32

---