[Tagging] accordion gate & rolling double-track gate

johnw johnw at mac.com
Thu Sep 24 08:36:00 UTC 2015

I’m wondering if there is a barrier=* tag for these two types of gates. They are the two most popular ones in Japan, but are not are not listed in barrier=*.

I would normally tag these as just barrier=gate, but as there are *so many* kinds of gates in barrier=* , I’m wondering if there is a specific type I should use or should suggest as a new value.

The first gate is a very common gate for commercial and residential use. it is an “accordion" gate, where a large metal expanding structure anchored on one side of a driveway stretches out to meet a post on the other side. It rolls on little wheels, and pegs on the bottom catch permanent tabs in the driveway, locking the gate into place across the driveway. When locked to the far post, it cannot moved at all. When the gate is open, the dense stack often can be hinged back out of the way, so no part of the accordion is sticking out into the driveway (or at least it is up against the wall, so it is mostly out of the way). Although is is a common gate type for residences and small business’ driveways - I’m not interested in mapping these (as neighborhoods would drown in a sea of unimportant gate icons), but they are also used for access control in retail and commercial spaces. I’m interested in tagging these occasional important ones, like the first link below.

FYI, These are not temporary, and will be in service for a couple decades.

here is an example of two at a mall (near and far). I wanted to map these two, as a busy driveway for the parking structure is blocked off from the delivery area. They led me to this post.

https://goo.gl/maps/CPbuYoDNE6m <https://goo.gl/maps/CPbuYoDNE6m>

A folded up accordion gate hinged off to the side at a residence. Shown just for understanding the gate.

https://goo.gl/maps/78U618DVAQB2 <https://goo.gl/maps/78U618DVAQB2>

This is a cheap and temporary accordion gate used by construction companies with their temporary construction barriers. I’m talking about permanent and stronger versions, not these flimsy things.
https://goo.gl/maps/G5non3cZfHQ2 <https://goo.gl/maps/G5non3cZfHQ2>

~~~~~~

The second type is a large fixed barrier that rolls on double tracks, either manually or automatically. Most commercial and industrial buildings have these large rolling double-track gates that roll off to the side, and are usually anchored into the trackway in the driveway (so they cannot be knocked off the track easily, nor rolled over with a car). The gate can only roll a short distance (open-closed) because it is hooked into the track.

https://goo.gl/maps/DKakBFtPmYK2 <https://goo.gl/maps/DKakBFtPmYK2> A closed one at a school. It has 4 different ones, all of the same design.

https://goo.gl/maps/nRXKgJuumT32 <https://goo.gl/maps/nRXKgJuumT32>  Two that meet in the center, both on tracks.

Should they just be tagged as barrier=gate, or is there a need/desire for a new values of barrier=* for them?

Javbw