[Tagging] tagging sport=shotput or sport=shot_put?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 00:44:57 UTC 2016

On 29/03/2016 9:29 AM, Tom Pfeifer wrote:
> Warin wrote on 2016/03/28 23:15:
>
>> I would map each sport as individual pitches/tracks (running is a
>> track type thing).
> > Then add the relevant sport to the individual pitch/track. That way
> I can 'see' where each sport is.
>
> So what do you do when multiple athletic disciplines are performed on
> the same pitch/track?
>
>> The present 'system' in the sports key is duck tagging.
>
> There is a lot of those from the early days, yes. That does not mean
> it is necessary to introduce a whole lot more.
>
>> For example ... football could have been tagged
>> sport=football
>> football:soccer=yes
>
> I gave you an example where subtagging in sport worked well.
>
>> Is one method better than the other? I don't think there is a clear
>> winner there, more personal opinion.
>
> The way to deal with chaos is structure, in my opinion.
>
>> To get back to part of my original question ... shot_put looks to be
>> preferred over shotput.
>
> Good, one thing we agree on.

Well ... 'we' did.
I have just bought a new large Dictionary .. A 'Macquarie' .. about
1,500 A4 pages, it is not the latest not their 'gold plated version'
(that would cost several hundred dollars).

That has "Shot-put" ... note the dash, not an uderscore. So I am back to
thinking about it. The dictionary has this to say about '-' usage
.."British style tends to use them where American style would avoid them
by means of either a spaced or set-solid alternatives. See, for example,
*hot dog* where two variants *hot-dog* and *hotdog* are also given."