[Tagging] tagging sport=shotput or sport=shot_put?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 12:56:53 UTC 2016

> Please remembers these keys and values on tags are computer variables,
> not linguistic subtleties.
>
> They are often influenced by the people who introduced them.
> I see no value in being overly nitpicking here.

yes, it doesn't matter to the computer how we spell stuff, and it won't
typically be exposed to the end user, but still it does matter, because
mappers and data consumers will have it easier if we adhere to a well
defined spelling (e.g. like we do: British English ortography). The few
edge cases that remain are those where BE offers equally valid spelling
variants.

Cheers,
Martin