[Tagging] tagging sport=shotput or sport=shot_put?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 01:00:35 UTC 2016

> <mailto:t.pfeifer at computer.org>>:
>
>     Please remembers these keys and values on tags are computer variables,
>     not linguistic subtleties.
>
>     They are often influenced by the people who introduced them.
>     I see no value in being overly nitpicking here.
>

> yes, it doesn't matter to the computer how we spell stuff, and it
> won't typically be exposed to the end user, but still it does matter,
> because mappers and data consumers will have it easier if we adhere to
> a well defined spelling (e.g. like we do: British English ortography).
> The few edge cases that remain are those where BE offers equally valid
> spelling variants.

I am tending towards shot-put .. as that is what is in the Oxford
dictionary (web search) ... and I would take that as THE British English
Language Reference. I would not want to propagate US English in a BE
usage preference data base. Precession in the words used may help
influence mappers in the precision they use in their entries. Fingers
crossed.