[Tagging] highway=service major type sub-classification - mini vote

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Sun Apr 17 16:35:21 UTC 2016

On 17/04/16 16:33, ael wrote:
>> In en_US, alley is generally a road where you can drive, but which is so
> Here British usage is different. You can seldom drive on a alley.  It
> may be the historical root is the same: in the days of narrow
> horse-drawn vehicles, maybe an alley would allow passage and that was
> the historical meaning. Most alleys in the UK will have bollards or such
> to prevent anything beyond bicycles. However they are typically wider
> than normal paths.  You see why we need a clear definition? From your
> description, I can't see why highway=service with a width tag would not
> cover a US alley.

I don't entirely agree with your idea about alleys in the UK. We often
have a roadway behind terraced houses which offer a way to access the
rear of the houses, and often this is with a car, sometimes to private
garages. The surface of these varies from tarmac or concrete to gravel.
I tag these as highway:service, service:alley. In the Hull area these
are known as tenfoots (they are typically ten feet wide). A walkway
between housing that a car wouldn't fit down has many local names such
as ginnle or snicket, but that is not the same as a tenfoot. I think
people would agree that alleys (in the UK) are sometimes not wide enough
to drive down, but far from always. I feel drivable alleys are only for
access, nearly always for the house owners, but they are not regarded
(IMHO) as a driveway. More and more of them are getting gates to
restrict access in the belief that this deters crime. I add the gate and
access:private to these.

--
Cheers, Chris (chillly)