[Tagging] highway=service major type sub-classification - mini vote

Jaakko Helleranta jaakko at helleranta.com
Thu Apr 21 05:01:00 UTC 2016

Hmm. So, what people are saying is that in some places an alley is only
pedestrian (and bicycle) access, eih?
And this is discussed in the context of highway=service.

Unless I've understood something completely wrong and as the wiki notes
there are two main sets of highway=* types:
1) http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway#Roads
2) http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway#Paths

1) for cars and other motor vehicles alike
2) for "light traffic" i.e. pedestrians, bicycles, mopeds, perhaps even
motorcycles in some contexts -- even ATVs in some? And horses ... +
something else?

Now, even though service=alley has been widely used and instructed to be
used I think that having read this thread -- and not having known before
that alley in some places means a way that is inaccessible with a car --
such alleys that one can't drive a car (or other four wheel vehicle,
perhaps ATVs excluded?) should simply be tagged with an appropriate "path"
tag.

Am I missing/misunderstanding something here?

Cheers,
-Jaakko

--
Nicaragua mobile: +505-8131-0729, alt. mob/WhatsApp/Telegram +505-8845-3391
Global (Google) Voice / SMS: +1-202-730-9778 * Skype: jhelleranta