[Tagging] Proposal for standardization of sidewalk schema (+ import)

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Mon Aug 1 22:11:37 UTC 2016

On Mon, 2016-08-01 at 14:35 -0700, Meg Drouhard wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Our team is proposing a standardization of sidewalk tagging
> conventions in OSM to simplify pedestrian network annotations and
> better represent the physical reality of sidewalk ways.  This
> proposal is particularly concerned with features of sidewalks that
> may aid or impede travel for people with limited mobility.
>
> Our schema proposal is available here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/
> wiki/Proposed_features/sidewalk_schema.
>
> You can also read more about our project and group here: www.openside
> walks.com.
>
> Through the Imports list, we are also proposing to jump start
> sidewalk annotation by importing open municipal data from the city of
> Seattle (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Seattle,_Washington/Sidew
> alk_Import).
>
> We appreciate any feedback you may have either through our discussion
> pages or by email.

The first problem I see is that mapping sidewalks as a separate way
should not be done unless there is a physical separation. For a
pedestrian the sidewalk is a part of the road.

Mapping as separate ways can mess up routing for pedestrians who can
cross the road wherever they wish.

Mapping in the way you propose would leave the problem of where a
mapper would then place sufficient 'imaginary' crossings to not break
pedestrian routing

Phil (trigpoint)