[Tagging] bus networks in Hong Kong

Frank Villaro-Dixon frank at villaro-dixon.eu
Tue Aug 2 14:30:02 UTC 2016

On 16-08-02 15:29:11, Michael Tsang, wrote 1.0K characters saying:
>On Monday 01 August 2016 23:55:56 Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> sent from a phone
>>
>> > Il giorno 01 ago 2016, alle ore 17:51, Michael Tsang <miklcct at gmail.com>
>> > ha scritto:
>> >
>> > What should I type in for the network=* tag for the bus routes such that
>> > it is least surprising and least confusing for data users?
>> You have written a lot about operators, but these go into the operator tag
>> on the relation, the network is more about fares I think: if you can use
>> the same kind of tickets it's the same network.
>
>Cash and card can be used across the whole territory across different networks

To me, `operator` is the company that drives the bus (say, "Bus drivers
Ltd") whereas `network` targets the global entity/company/consortium for
the group of lines.

Generally speaking, a ticket bought on a network could be used on all the
lines of the said network (even if the `operator` is different) of course
following the network's rules.

An operator (O₁) can drive busses of two different networks (N₁, N₂). A
network (N₁) can have many operators (O₁, O₂). A user buying a ticket for
N₁ can use all of N₁'s routes.

In Geneva for example, we have three main networks: TPG, Noctambus,
Mouettes.

TPG routes are operated by: TPG, RDTA, …
Noctambus is operated by TPG
Mouettes is operated by SMGN

But then there is a "master" network: Unireso. If you buy a ticket from
one of Unireso's networks you can use your ticket on all of Unireso's
routes.

What do you think ?

--
frank.villaro-dixon.eu       - PGP: 6F36914A
Envie d'électricité 100% verte ? Enercoop.fr