[Tagging] Proposal for standardization of sidewalk schema (+ import)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Aug 3 12:47:20 UTC 2016

Martijn,

On 08/03/2016 12:09 AM, Martijn van Exel wrote:
> The fact that this is all pretty German language centered sums it all
> up. The topic has perhaps been discussed over and over in your language,
> spoken by ~ 1.4% of the world.

I'm sure if anyone had written a few lines somewhere ("hey we at XYZ
university are thinking of doing a sidewalk project, are there any
experiences with that") then people would have loved to share. Germans
don't speak German to exclude others - it's just that it comes easier to
them; often even discussions only relevant to Germany or Austria are
conducted in English precisely to make it possible for others to
participate.

That doesn't mean other communities will
> necessarily come to the same conclusions,

True. I was perhaps a bit sensitive because this sounded as if someone
wanted to roll out a tagging scheme for the whole world and "kick-start"
its world-wide implementation with a local import. Of course if this is
just a local issue then it is not as important to understand what has
been going on elsewhere. Perhaps the wiki page should be adapted to
avoid such misunderstandings.

That doesn't change the fact that even for the US, one week between a
public request for discussion and starting an import would be too short.

Bye
Frederik