[Tagging] Proposal for standardization of sidewalk schema (+ import)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 15:26:19 UTC 2016

sent from a phone

> Il giorno 03 ago 2016, alle ore 00:09, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> ha scritto:
>
> The fact that this is all pretty German language centered sums it all up. The topic has perhaps been discussed over and over in your language, spoken by ~ 1.4% of the world.

maybe this number is higher if you look at the OSM world rather than the world ;-)

> That doesn't mean other communities will necessarily come to the same conclusions, or that they may not have valuable input that perhaps the German community could even learn from?

both could be true, but it is also true that we are not having a discussion on language or culture, but on a mathematical model of the world, so the language in which you discuss this should not matter. The reason why a lot has already been said in German about this is that German speaking countries are very well mapped (i.e. mapping addicts don't find lots of "classical" things to map and are looking for more details to add or more niche things) and have quite big and active communities.

From anything I have encountered so far I must admit that both solutions have their pros and cons and should be considered when mapping, while explicit mapping is preferable when done right (because it's the only reasonable way to deal with details in shape, width changes, barriers between ways and particularly on footways and generally stuff on footways), it is also requiring a lot of dedication and attention (to add all possible connections), much more than the "rougher" attributed alternative without explicit footway geometry, and in practice this is where it typically fails (failed in the past), resulting often in inferior routing suggestions than with the attributed style.

It also depends on the situation (in a setting with usable footways everywhere, with very few problems or obstacles, typical for Germany, it doesn't really matter, while complex situations, e.g. for historical reasons, with lots of obstructions and limitations or unfinished civic constructions it would create a complete mess to add all this stuff to the central highway which would have to be split for every detail on one of its sidewalks).
E.g. try to pass with a wheelchair or a stroller here: (sorry, can't post this now from mobile, just imagine)

cheers,
Martin