[Tagging] Proposal for standardization of sidewalk schema (+ import)

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 01:35:22 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 5:49 AM, markus schnalke <meillo at marmaro.de> wrote:

> So, if mapping sidewalks is a lot of effort (kerbs and such), there
> will be few motivation to do it at all. Having it as trivial as
> possible increases the probability of users doing it.
>
> I tested out the proposed mapping/tagging scheme in my local area (
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/40.49192/-105.05655 - not claiming I
did it perfectly). I didn't think it was especially difficult. Drawing the
additional ways took a little more time, but offered the advantage that you
received a good visual as to whether all the sidewalks had been correctly
mapped.

> I'd suggest to keep both possibilities: simple/basic mapping and
> complex/sophisticated mapping of sidewalks, thus letting the mappers
> choose what is more appropriate in the specific case.

I am not opposed to keeping both. Probably obvious, but we should probably
state that the two should not co-exist on the same street segment.

Mike T (osm: tekim)