[Tagging] Proposal for standardization of sidewalk schema (+ import)

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 07:45:32 UTC 2016

On 04/08/2016 02:35, Mike Thompson wrote:

> I tested out the proposed mapping/tagging scheme in my local area
> (http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/40.49192/-105.05655 - not
> claiming I did it perfectly). I didn't think it was especially
> difficult. Drawing the additional ways took a little more time, but
> offered the advantage that you received a good visual as to whether
> all the sidewalks had been correctly mapped.

Thanks for sharing that.  One question though - would it make sense to
use "sidewalk=separate" (see
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/sidewalk#values ) on
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/33496127 ?  That way it's clear to all
data consumers that http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/33496127 exists as
a sidewalk for it.

I'm guessing that there may be some connections (and possibly kerbs)
missing, so that a foot router that navigated people over kerbs wouldn't
use:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/directions?engine=graphhopper_foot&route=40.49172%2C-105.05390%3B40.49167%2C-105.05421#map=18/40.49184/-105.05462

but take a more direct route across the intersection and along a bit?

Cheers,

Andy