[Tagging] Proposal for standardization of sidewalk schema (+ import)

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 13:05:32 UTC 2016

On 08/08/2016 21:43, Meg Drouhard wrote:

> We've been drafting a longer response that we wanted to share with
> everyone to give more context (for those also following the import
> list-serve, there is a separate post there that goes through
> import-specific challenges).  ...

Hi,

Thanks for this.  I had a go at using "separate ways" to describe the
situation in a small area here:

http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/54.0092/-1.0546

(turn the data layer on or edit it to see it, obviously).  some of the
infrastructure was already mapped "separately" and that was just copied
from OSM to the api06 server)

By doing that, a couple of points became very clear:

1) It's actually quite time-consuming to do this (as expected, as
there's more data to be added, and care needs to be taken to see where
there are actually dropped kerbs and where there aren't. Quite a few of
the useful sidewalk to road accesses here are former house and field
access; it's doubtful whether even the canonical local authority map has
them.

2) There are a few major "blockers" to wheeled access in this area, and
I'm not sure how best to represent some of them:

One (the lack of dropped kerbs northbound on
http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/way/4301670266#map=19/54.01168/-1.05244&layers=D
) is straightforward.  The others are less so:

http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/way/4301669135#map=19/54.00464/-1.05499&layers=D

Here the fences designed to slow down suicidal cyclists are wide enough
to accommodate a mobility scooter, but there's so much traffic on the
road that, unless it's gridlocked or 3am in the morning an unaccompanied
mobility scooter user would struggle to cross here*.  I don't really see
how we can (or even if we should) capture that in OSM.

http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/way/4301709029#map=19/54.01155/-1.05757&layers=D

Here (and I've drawn it from memory rather than survey, so it might not
be in quite the right place) there's a gap that's too small for mobility
scooters, not because it's not wide enough, but because the right angles
close together make it impossible to negotiate. "maxwidth" or
"maxwidth:physical" doesn't really work here; any suggestions?

Also - can anyone suggest a router (online or off) that could work with
this data?  Also, what about "this road is too busy to cross unless
gridlocked" information?

Best Regards,

Andy Townsend (SomeoneElse)

* source is my father, who lives round here.