[Tagging] Mapping amenity=prison

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Tue Aug 9 21:38:41 UTC 2016

> On Aug 9, 2016, at 2:29 PM, Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org> wrote:
>
> Martin Koppenhoefer wrote on 2016/08/09 22:20:
>>> Il giorno 09 ago 2016, alle ore 18:54, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com> ha scritto:
>>>
>>> What I'm thinking is to put amenity=prison on the whole area and then barrier=wall or barrier=fence on the enclosure.
>>
>> sounds reasonable to me
>
> When it is a bit of green space around, visitor/staff parking etc, I'd agree.
>
> When it comes to farmland, I would not consider it part of the amenity. It might
> be operated by the facility, fine. But as we do not tag ownership, the fact that
> is owned by the institution would not make it part of the amenity.

I am stunned to find that prisons are categorized as amenities so the rest of this thread about tagging details of such seems straight out of a Monte Python skit.

What dictionary definition of amenity was used to argue that a prison should be tagged that way? I sure don’t see it in my American English dictionaries nor in my older copy of the Oxford English Dictionary.