[Tagging] Tagging of larger surfaces for rendering and routing

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 20:43:04 UTC 2016

IMHO, the value of the highway tag should define its use, not the
surface from which it is made.
So highway=pedestrian (or service or ...), surface=grass; area=yes
makes more sense to me

(or would you start defining highway=paving_stones, cobblestones, etc.
as well ?).

A renderer could look at the surface tag to colour the area. No reason
to start inventing new values for the highway tag.

regards