[Tagging] [Talk-us] Freeway exit tagging

Georg Feddern osm at bavarianmallet.de
Fri Aug 26 16:31:49 UTC 2016

Am 26.08.2016 um 14:18 schrieb Kieron Thwaites:
> I can, however, see the rationale behind tagging "none;slight_right",
> as well as tagging nothing at all, and as such, I think that this is
> an issue that we need to find consensus on.  That said, I believe Paul
> is quite correct with his statement that machines "need to be told
> about these restrictions in order for them to be able to provide
> useful feedback from it" -- something that isn't explicitly present
> (or maybe not even implicitly so) but appears obvious to a human on
> the ground isn't necessary obvious to a machine.

Please do not take it personally - I just toke your answer to hook on,
because you agreed on "machines need to be told about these restrictions".

May be I am a bit on the devils advocates side here ... ;)

1. Where are there any restrictions? There is no solid line between the
3 lanes. ;)
2. If you want to give the machine any advice, you should take
"through|through|through;slight_right"
because
3. "none|none|none;slight_right" does not give any advice for the both
left lines - they still could be considered to take the exit.
Well in reality that is the legal situation here - you just have to take
care for the traffic on the lines. ;)

But in this common case (standard single lane exit) I still do not see
any necessarity for any advice to the maschine (or the driver), that if
the route takes the right road one should use the rightmost lane ...
Same situation with solid lines definitely need case 2 - because even
you should 'implicitly know' to take the rightmost lane there is another
point where you already _have_ _to_ be on the rightmost lane - the
maschine needs this advice to announce it appropriate.

But may be I am a bit too old and have driven too long with my own eyes
and head - and without a navigation assistant. ;)