[Tagging] [Talk-us] Freeway exit tagging

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sat Aug 27 17:13:24 UTC 2016

On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 10:30 AM, yo paseopor <yopaseopor at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know for 4th lane so short if it's better to mantain three lanes
> and then "create a way with one lane" to join or to exit the motorway. It's
> clear and the driver or the data will be there to decide which lane is
> better for him, I think it is not a problem making the change of lane by
> the driver 100m before or after.

This breaks how it's being used in the wild again, not to mention all data
consumers, which would put the decision point well too far forward and
assume you've already entered the ramp while still in the turn lane for the
exit, which gets to be very confusing.

That style of ramp is relatively rare here, but fortunately, I am aware of
one I know very well, and that's 31st/Yale to Fairgrounds/Expo Square
(because I have a season pass to the water park there).  I was planning on
saving this until I got to US 64 or OK 51, but went ahead and updated it
real quick since I have the detail down by heart and the topic came up.
There's a pretty decent variety of things going on here, so probably better
off I did it now anyway.  Anyrate, feel free to check out the data
(particularly if you have a style in JOSM that shows lanes and turn lanes
enabled) to get an idea on what does actually give some good lane guidance
in consumers that read for it.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/36.11909/-95.92259