[Tagging] Roads with no speed limits

David Marchal penegal at live.fr
Tue Aug 30 11:59:02 UTC 2016

AFAIK, no maxspeed value means that the default maximum speed for this type of road in this area applies, so I wouldn't add this tag when there is no sign; that would also fulfill the "Map what's on the ground" principle. Beware that, if there that was a maximum speed sign (hundreds of) kilometers before, which is still in effect, you should then use this value; that kind of situation is pretty common, at least here in France, as it prevents installation of redundant signs after each junction.