[Tagging] 'ongoing' U-turn restriction

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 14:12:29 UTC 2016

sent from a phone

> On 8 Dec 2016, at 12:25, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> Martin, your interpretation is jurisdiction-dependant. There is sometimes a distinction between single and double lines as well (Queensland is an example I just found). The objectively verifiable fact is the road marking, thereafter you have to interpret the local laws to understand its effect.

Yes, if you map with the divider tag you don't have to understand the meaning, your direct uneducated observation is sufficient for mapping, still I'd consider the resulting effect from interpreting the local law something "objectively verifiable" as well - and more interesting for OSM if there are significant differences in meaning. Usually we do add our interpretation (e.g. the access rights of a road, put on the highway) rather than limiting us to pure physical facts (e.g. an access restriction sign), and we clearly prioritize the former.

cheers
Martin