[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Discourage tourism=gallery

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 09:00:13 UTC 2016

sent from a phone

Am 02.02.2016 um 04:16 schrieb Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com>:

>>> 2 problems with tourism=gallery: it is not clear, which kind of gallery
>>> is intended,
>
> Many many key/values are not precise in what is intended. That is why 'sub keys' are used.
> 'Sub keys' like width, height add detail. If you think a gallery needs more detail, add sub keys to it!

no, I think there are lots of meanings for the word "gallery", ranging from architecture over mining,  to kind of museum to private exhibition spaces that are part of the contemporary art discourse. The latter 2 are IMHO different enough to not put them under the same main tag.

>>>  and either way "tourism" is not a nice key for these
>>> (neither is it for museums).
>
> A 'nice key'?
>
> Tourism? Visiting a place for pleasure? Looks to be the correct key to me!

it's rather constricting, to me museums are not in the first place a kind of leisure institution but more for heritage and education.

>> What would be a proper way to tag this?
>>

>> amenity=museum
>> museum=art
>>

>> ?