[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Discourage tourism=gallery

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 03:16:39 UTC 2016

On 2/02/2016 1:56 PM, Max wrote:

> On 2016년 02월 02일 01:17, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>>      I think there is a need for sub tags in tourism=museum so that we can
>>      distinguish between a science, history, tech, ....or art museum.
>>
>> actually if you call a gallery like the national gallery or the
>> Gemäldegalerie in Berlin an "art museum", you are not wrong, but you
>> loose one level of detail: a gallery as a kind of art museum only
>> collects and exhibits paintings, while more generic art museums might
>> collect anything related to art, like sculptures, video, paintings,
>> prints, ...
> I believe the German word "Galerie" is a short form for Gemäldegalerie
> which is a place where paintings are on display.
>
> However, the English word "Gallery" doesn't seem to have this specific
> meaning. Mirriam-Webster includes "sculptures, etc"
> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gallery

Picking nits;
Mirriam-Webster is American English.
OSM policy is to use British English ... so the Oxford Dictionary should be used.

>> 2 problems with tourism=gallery: it is not clear, which kind of gallery
>> is intended,

Many many key/values are not precise in what is intended. That is why 'sub keys' are used.
'Sub keys' like width, height add detail. If you think a gallery needs more detail, add sub keys to it!

>>   and either way "tourism" is not a nice key for these
>> (neither is it for museums).

A 'nice key'?

Tourism? Visiting a place for pleasure? Looks to be the correct key to me!

> What would be a proper way to tag this?
>

> amenity=museum
> museum=art
>

> ?

No. OSM amenity - important facilities.

Tourism is the correct key in this instance, a place that provides visual pleasure.