[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Discourage tourism=gallery

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 09:27:53 UTC 2016

> In more details:
>
> For museums, including art museums (collection of works):
> tourism = museum
> + museum = art / railway / history / ...
> + art = painting / photography / ...
> [no tourism = gallery]

I'd prefer amenity=museum, but I see that putting it under the tourism key
is quite established so it would have to be discussed if a change would
make sense (if it hurts less to do this change one and forever or if it is
better to bear the little pain when putting tourism=museum as main tag on a
museum).

I would be more explicit with the key names, to avoid situations like
amenity=parking, parking=surface, surface=asphalt ;-)

amenity (or tourism)=museum
museum_type (or museum_for or museum:topic or ...) = art / railway /
history / war / mathematics / ...
art_form = painting / photography / sculpture / prints / ....
art_genre = still_life / landscape / portrait / religious / .... (if
applicable, many collections will be more diverse, but some might be
specialized)
art_style = expressionism / futurism / impressionism / mannerism / ...  (if
applicable)

cheers,
Martin