[Tagging] highway=crossing and crossing=*

Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 6 19:44:50 UTC 2016

Richard Mann-2 wrote
> Nodes don't have an orientation, so I find it useful to put crossing=*
> tags
> on the footway/cycleway, so I can render it with a nice set of black and
> white stripes.
>
> Eg:
> http://www.transportparadise.co.uk/cyclemap/?zoom=3&lat=51.74075&lon=-1.25238&layers=B0TF
>
> I also add the tags to the intersecting node, since some people (eg the
> cycle layer) make use of that data.
>
> Leave it alone.

OK, I can live with that. Is it okay when I change the wiki for crossing* so
that it makes
clear that highway=crossing should not be used on ways? I think I just have
to add the list of the
three alternatives.
I also agree with Warin that the 3rd alternative (crossing=* only on the
minor way) is not a good idea,
so I think these two alternatives should be mentioned:

Use crossing=* like this:
1) add it to the node that is tagged highway=crossing
2) optionally add the crossing=* tag to the way that crosses the major road

Better ideas?

Gerd